Sunday, March 21, 2010

Circular words and words of circles

Poor copy editing, especially on advertisements meant to sell something or entice me to go somewhere, drives me crazy to no end. I will focus on a mistake for hours on end, trying to mentally correct it. Of course, this Jedi mind-trick doesn’t really work as much as I’d want it to, but it helps to pass the time on a train ride.

The particular example that has spurred this post:

“It’s my flower show…because it has the all the things I like.”

In the first line. Really! I couldn’t stop staring at the first the in the sentence and it was driving a hole into my brain. Like a too slow screw going into a wall, scraping the entire way, I could focus on nothing but that. Luckily, a cute, muscular punk boy entered the train and sat directly under it to my benefit, so I had something else to focus and project on. All tattoos, shaved head and muscles.

It’s funny how cute boys have a tendency to make everything better.

No comments: