Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Moving havoc

So I decided to stay in New York City for Labor Day weekend and it turned out that a friend was moving. So as my plans were suddenly vacant, I offered to help. I'm a swell friend, aren't I?

We started Friday night but couldn't get motivated. It was Friday, after all! We're sitting in his room, I brought over supplies (a bottle of vodka, some club soda) and we were contemplating what/how to do aka watching True Blood.

Needless to say we didn't do much but enjoy True Blood and the vodka, and then of course listened to some Justin Bieber. Who can't love that kid? I'll tell you, me.

All of his songs are so materialistic and fluff: baby this and baby that, I'll buy you a diamond ring and the finer things, themes that drive tween girls and gay twinks wild. Also, I'm aware that he is an excellent singer, having seen his YouTube covers of pop songs, but why the heavy hand of AutoTunes!? Just make him sing it til he gets it right! It didn't help that 4 of his songs were in a playlist that only lasted two hours. Needless to say, my friend is stuck in twink mode.

But we had fun, got pretty drunk, and ended up going out. Not much moving got done.

I crashed there and the next day we made a trip to Staples/Manhattan Mini Storage and packed up just about everything in his room and the kitchen/common areas. One of the easy things was that he was keeping the same roommate so we didn't have to divide up the goods, even though most of it was his anyway.

We finished up around 3am - we seriously took our time - and I made the trek back to Brooklyn craving nothing more than a shower and my own bed. I was not staying there as he had wrapped up his bed already and planned on sleeping on the couch. He had hired movers to actually move the stuff Sunday morning, and I figured for my own sanity it'd be best if I stayed home and waited to help him unpack in Queens.

I again set up his kitchen. Only one bowl broke in the move. I consider that a success.

All in all, he seemed happy to have it over with. Our mutual friend Laurence tasked himself and I with keeping him sane through it all. In a text last night, he described what I felt...

"Mission accomplished ;-)"

And to think, I could have gone to Asbury Park instead...

1 comment:

Jay Rowsey said...

Hi. I just stumbled upon your blog and enjoy your writing style and sense of humor. Looking forward to reading more.